Begin Main Content Area

Victims Compensation FAQ

expand Question : Am I required to use my insurance benefits before applying for compensation? ‎(1)
expand Question : Can I get money for pain and suffering? ‎(1)
expand Question : Can I get money now? ‎(1)
Yes, you can file an emergency award application to receive up to $2,500 of verified loss of earnings, loss of support, stolen benefit cash or money for crime-related bills that you have already personally paid.
expand Question : Can I get travel reimbursement? ‎(1)
expand Question : Can I still collect restitution? ‎(1)
​Yes, but you must repay the Program any monies for expenses which were already paid by the Program. This does not apply to restitution ordered by the court for property damage or other losses not covered by the Program.
expand Question : Can my attorney charge me for helping me complete and file a compensation claim? ‎(1)
expand Question : Do I need to file a new claim if I have additional expenses? ‎(1)
No, you can submit additional crime-related bills to the Program at any time. It is important to write your claim number on any bills sent to the Program.
expand Question : Do I need to report any award money received to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? ‎(1)
expand Question : How long does it take the Program to make a decision? ‎(1)

​​Most claims are processed within 8 weeks or less, but if the claim is complex it may take longer.

expand Question : If I am injured at work as a result of a crime, am I still eligible for compensation? ‎(1)
expand Question : If I get money from the Program, does the offender get out of paying restitution? ‎(1)
No, the offender is still obligated to pay the restitution ordered by the court and reimburse the Program.
expand Question : If I miss work because of my injuries, can I get paid for my lost wages? ‎(1)
expand Question : If I take off work to take my child to court, am I eligible for my loss of earnings? ‎(1)
Yes, but attendance must be verified by providing a copy of the subpoena or a letter from an appropriate court official or victim advocate.​
expand Question : Is property damage eligible for compensation? ‎(1)
expand Question : Is there a limit on total compensation? ‎(1)
Yes, there are different limits for the various types of benefits covered by the Program.
expand Question : What if I don't have paycheck stubs, W-2s or tax returns , can I still apply for loss of earnings? ‎(1)
expand Question : Where does the money come from? ‎(1)
Most of the money awarded to victims of crime comes from fines paid by convicted offenders.​